Sunday, February 16, 2014

Welcome to the Ballpark

It was a beautiful night on the gridiron on a crisp, fall evening.  Laughs and smiles filled the air as we listnened to the overplayed, yet satisfying "Bonfire".  We were excited to be there, and we made it very clear that we were ready to play.

Unfortunately, I showed up to the game, unprepared.

Unknowing.

I had no idea who I was playing against.
I had no idea WE would lose.

I thought when I hit that double, things would change.  I thought I would be happy.
But, I missed first base and the adrenaline of the game overcame me.

I looked at my hands, as if I had never seen them before. An undescribable sensation.
I looked at my hands, as if I had never cried harder. An undescribable sensation.

You were me, and I am you.  We're both out.  We both lost.

Crazy thing is we're on the same team.

I wonder if you'll ever forgive me.

I wonder if I'll ever forgive myself.


- Trevor Powers

4 comments:

  1. WOW you take me to such amazing places with your writing

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just really liked this. That's all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Breaks my heart. So good.
    "I looked at my hands, as if I had never seen them before. An undescribable sensation. I looked at my hands, as if I had never cried harder. An undescribable sensation." Very intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "We're both out. We're both lost"

    Amen.

    ReplyDelete